Monday, April 27, 2009

Building Typology

Upon reading Anu’s post, I have selected the “Cave/Bunker” type (more so Bunker than Cave). I have chosen the Bunker as the core concept of my building is for it’s patrons to escape and find shelter from the outside world, where one can be removed and fully immersed in their “conversations”.

The related case study was also very interesting and had common ideas to my building. Some notes on the Box Home:


  • “peaceful”
  • “small”
  • “urban cave”
  • exterior – unassuming
  • opening types
  • few windows
  • material usage – varied, “internally, a different species of wood was chosen for each room”. The effect these timber rooms have.
  • size – “19 square metre dwelling with four rooms covering the basic living functions”
  • use of a ladder - possible use in secluded room



2 comments:

Dr Anuradha Chatterjee said...

Karl

Not too sure if the cave idea works best
It seems to contradict the insertion of the enclosure in an urban setting
Maybe a parasite would work best????
Plus I think we expect to see too many caves!

Anu

Dr Anuradha Chatterjee said...

Further to my comment, I now understand ( I hope more accurately this time) that you don't literally mean cave but I think you are alluding to the qualities of quiet and peace found in a cave

See my postings on parasite

Anu