Tuesday, May 19, 2009

PROJECT 3: ART GALLERY, SHOP/HOUSE - Initial Concepts/Narrative






The above three images were of particular interest to me.
Here is a basic list of some related themes I picked up from the site visit which I wish to incorporate in my project:
  • prevalence of street art - make the gallery "user friendly"; visitors/locals make their own art there; the artists are the art, their history/their story
  • small village-like ambience very communal, people making idle chit chat at Franklins, randoms talking to us on the street - make the gallery free flowing, very informal, visitors can come and go as they please
  • interaction with the street front - at first I wanted to create a gallery disconnected from the hustle and bustle of Newtown and King Street. I soon realised that this would be quite difficult and unnecessary. The local environ should be embraced, otherwise why would an art gallery be located there, if it were to be disconnected??

Preliminary Narrative:

"An art gallery for the people by the people"

No comments: