Saturday, June 21, 2008

Reflection and Self-Evaluation

Is this Architecture?

Having just completed my first design studio, and thinking about all that I have gained from it, I thought it was apt that some self-evaluation be shared with the rest of you. I got to learn a great deal about myself from this subject and also learnt a whole lot of new skills (e.g improving my drawing skills, learning how to “design”, SketchUp, Unreal…). Some major points of interest I have gathered from this subject are the following:

  • My attention to detail is probably a bit excessive (e.g trying to get everything line up exactly) at the expense of time. I strive for perfection, but perfection is unachievable.
  • I find the quality of models produced in this subject is outstanding. I would only consider mine as average. Am I not dedicating enough time? Too slow? Or just plain crap? Some peoples models are SO complex that I am amazed at the time and effort they have put in.
  • After learning from EXP1 and EXP2 my intention for EXP3 was to work consistently. Although I held firm to this commitment undoubtedly there was a huge rush at the end (last three nights went to sleep at 1am, 3am, and 6am with an exam on Friday!), which proved costly. I didn’t even go to work or play sport for a solid two weeks in a bid to churn out my best work, but still, there was a rush to the end. But hey this is university, this is what it’s all about, learning.
  • More to this point, I think the execution of my ideas is some what lacking. Sometimes even I am impressed with the ideas I conceive (through some intense idea exploration) but somehow they never come to fruition (e.g for EXP3, a catwalk that approaches the audience, and a moving building, not elevator).
  • However, something positive I have gathered about myself is that my belief in the motto “quality is better than quantity” holds true. Not to blow my own horn or anything, but I found some models to be too vast with no coercion. It seems people were creating random spaces for no reason at all. Although relatively simple I wanted to create spaces that held meaning and had ideas behind them without overcrowding the model.
  • Sitting at a computer all day long does not catch my fancy, doing dozens of (arduous) drawings does not catch my fancy. I’ve learnt that I greatly enjoy working in groups, where everyone’s special talents would be used effectively (I’d be the ideas man!).
  • Physical degradation – I think my body has taken a real pounding this semester, thanks in part to this subject. Weakened posture, ruining whatever significance my body clock once had for days at a time, sleep deprivation, RSI, craving any sugary foods when the “sleepy wave” hits and continually biting myself can all be attributed to my design work.

If this is Architecture… then I say “give me more”, although not too enthusiastically atm!

No comments: